Embellished leg warmers and boot socks have been a sweet trend through the fall and winter. Since our national groundhog weatherman seems to have mispredicted an early spring, you still have plenty of time to rock this look and keep your legs warm and toasty in style. These are adorable with tights, leggings or skinny jeans and you can use your own imagination, favorite colors and the accessories you have on hand to change them up. I think these would be adorable on little girls OR on older chicks who aren’t afraid to get in touch with their inner Betsey Johnson. Sometimes you just need a little lace and sparkle, okay?
Get an early start on handmade Christmas presents that will be received with sheer delight!
- Plain pair of pre-made leg warmers. (I chose a chunky white cable knit)
- Light pink tulle netting
- 3 inch white lace doily
- White sueded leather cord
- 3/4″ wide dark pink glittery ribbon
- 1″ wide magenta silk ribbon
- 3/4 inch pink square jewel with o-ring
- Matching thread
- Sewing needle
- Fabric glue or glue gun
- Sewing machine (optional)
- Straight pins
- Measuring tape
- Measure the length of your leg warmers, pulling them tight to stretch them to their full length. Cut two lengths each of both the magenta ribbon and pink glitter ribbon to match this measurement, adding two inches to the overall ribbon length. For instance, if your leg warmers are 24″, cut your ribbons to 26″.
- Find the center top of one leg warmer. This is easy for the cable-knit ones, just follow the center cable all the way down. Layer one glitter ribbon on top of one magenta ribbon, centering them. Fold the ribbon ends inward about 1/2″ and pin to the inside top of the leg warmer 1/2″ from the edge. Fold your ribbons over the top edge of the leg warmer, bringing them to the outside front middle center of the leg warmer. Now pull you leg warmer taught and pin the ribbons straight down the center of the leg warmer. When you reach the bottom, repeat what you did at the top, folding the ribbon to the inside of the leg warmer, folding the raw edges under and pinning in place. Repeat for second leg warmer.
- You have a few choices for this step. If you have a sewing machine handy, this is the sturdiest and quickest method. Just change the thread to match your ribbon and run a straight stitch all the way down your ribbon layers, removing pins as you go. Straight stitch across each end where you’ve folded the ribbon under. Alternately, you can hand sew the ribbons in place, following the same method. If you don’t sew, you can use a strong fabric glue to adhere the ribbons. If you use this method, just be extra careful in washing them later on- I would handwash or use a lingerie bag. Give them plenty of drying time between steps.
- For the medallion, cut an 24″ x 6″ length of pink tulle. Fold the tulle in half lengthwise. Handsew a straight gathering stitch along the raw side of the doubled tulle. Pull the thread gently until the the tulle gathers together tightly in a round shape. It should have a pleated appearance. Tie off your thread. Now stitch or glue this medallion to the outside top center of you leg warmer, over top of the ribbon. On top of this, center and sew or glue the white lace doily. Make a bow from the white leather cord, stitch or glue this on top of the doily. Make a second bow from magenta ribbon and stitch or glue this on top of the doily and leather cord. Thread the ring of the jewel through the leather cord and tie in place. Repeat for second leg warmer.
Ta-da! You’ve just created your own quick, cute fashion accessory, Miss Crafty Fingers. I knew you could do it!
If you need any help or have any questions, feel free to ask. I’m always here to help my sweet yams succeed.